Sunday, February 27, 2011

Stake Conference

Who dreads stake conference...? Well, I do. I don't know why. Maybe because when I was little, I would remember going to stake conference and sitting on the horrible, hard, uncomfortable chairs for 2 hours. 2 HOURS!!! It was horrible. Well, today we had stake conference in the Hart building. Didn't want to go, but I did. I think it was one of the best decisions I could have made.

Although it may not be a welcome insight, you will grow more rapidly through challenge and trial than from a life of ease and serenity with no disturbing elements. The intent of your Father in Heaven is to lift you from where you are to where he knows you will have eternal purpose and unspeakable happiness.

-"Finding Happiness" Elder Richard G. Scott

It seems like all the talks today focused on one thing- trials. We all have them. Some may be greater than others. We all come into contact with people who are going through trials we had no idea about. We need to be able to face these trials with the right mindset. I kept hearing today about how important it was to look at these trials as a learning tool and the key to happiness.

When I got sick about a year and a half ago, I felt so alone. I thought no one knew the pain I was going through and it just made me cry almost every night. I finally came to the realization I wasn't, I had my Heavenly Father and He was going to help me get through this.


This is one of my FAVORITE pictures by Greg Olsen. His artwork is amazing!!!

I knew Heavenly Father would be with me and knew what I needed.

In the Fall of 2010, I blessed with one of the greatest roommates. She seems to know exactly how I feel. She knows what it is like to have her stomach hurt, know what pain is like when you can't go to class when you want to. She has experienced one great trial like me. She was diagnosed with the same disease. We call each other Crohn buddies. Ask about her story and she'll tell you. It's a great story. We both decided that Heavenly Father knew we needed each other to get through this tough time in our life. We cry and laugh about this wonderful experience we have been able to have. We wouldn't have it any other way.



I guess all I'm trying to say is when you have trials come upon you, you have 2 options. First option is to cry and make this trial take over your life. OR you can chose to get the best out of this trial and make it a learning experience and realize you can be happy with the trial. It will make you strong in the end. I know it can. It worked for me. Did it work for you?

3 comments:

  1. You're amazing Heidi!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks for taking us along on your journey. Sounds like you are learning a lot. I'm glad you realize you are not alone. That can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi! This post was exactly what I needed today. A huge reminder. Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete